Wednesday, August 25, 2010

My Two Favorite Books in the Past Few Days

are these beauties...




One is a charming book of fairy tales updated for today's L.A.

Bukowski had his L.A.

And Francesca Lia Block has hers.

His might have been funnier.

But hers is prettier.

The other book is a compilation of hundreds of fascinating lists.

I can endorse both of these books as A-1 bathtub or bed reading.

Because, like, why would you read anywhere else?

Oh, you have a life? Well, excuse me.

Okay, then read them on the bus, in your cubicle or as you are shot out of a cannon in front of tens of thousands of onlookers.

Read them through a glory hole at a reptilian roadstop. I don't give a fuck.

I want to share some of those lists with you soon.

I found many of them rather fascinating.

The Book of Lists (and its "sequels") was one of my favorite books when I was a kid.

I was gonna say "when I was a child."

But I was never a child.

I was a kid.

A baby goat.

I didn't really know any children either.

Just other kids.

2 comments:

  1. I was obsessed with The Book of Lists as a kid, too. But then you probably already suspected that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are One, Craig.

    And yes, as I typed that sentence I knew in my bones you loved those books too.

    I'm still pissed at them, because I'm pretty sure they are the ones who started that rumor about Zora Neale Hurston being a zombie down in Haiti.

    The poor woman was cleaning houses or something and trying to survive.

    And once she dies it's okay to put her on Time's list of the 100 Greatest Novels of the 20th Century.

    I think she could have used the respect and dough while she was alive more.

    That's one they didn't fact-check well.

    Okay, maybe I hallucinated that but I'm pretty sure that was in one of their books.

    ReplyDelete