Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Irrational Mathematical Symmetry

I was thinking more about Quintane.

Maybe I should have said: The world is the quotient. Narrative is ceaselessly divided by the sum of its facts, but the answer inevitably comes up different each time. And while the quotient is not always irrational, it is rarely a whole number.

It doesn't really matter if it's rational, irrational, whether there is a remainder or not. (Some would say there is always a remainder, that what I am positing is a ridiculously Platonic image of an omniscient narrative.)

But doesn't this sort of mathematical thinking lend itself to the new physics of the sort proposed by Michio Kaku.

Because he seems to genuinely believe in those parallel universes.

But what I am talking about takes place in a single universe. I am talking about the multiplicity of assignations implicit in a language event.

Yes, the denominator "sum of facts" is constantly perceived differently, even by the same individual.

But there is a weird type of symmetry or symmetrical reflection between consciousness and mathematics.

Because most divisions in the universe will produce non-whole numbers.

I think I believe that there are words which correspond to whole numbers, words which correspond to rational numbers and words which correspond to irrational numbers in every language.

So in a sense our consciousness mirrors our mathematics.

Is this because our consciousness is mathematical in nature.

I know Kant tried to move in that direction with his categories, but it usually involves pulling in a prioris for consciousness, which doesn't work for most.

If you are a philosophical idealist, I suppose this wouldn't be seen as any sort of symmetry or reflection at all.

Because you would believe the universe is only a sort of projection of your consciousness. Or an identity relationship. To be more mathematically accurate.

But I suppose I lean more towards materialism.

So I find the reflection or weird symmetry interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment