Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Beauty of Tumblr Souls

I was just reading the bio of a young person who reblogged my one insect-themed LOL on tumbler...a pink mantis!

And I saw the person's avatar was visually interesting, only partially human.

And here was the bio, which will give you some idea of how much I'm learning about generational differences in self-expression. It's actually fascinating to me.

 Okay, a little about me. I am Acro - 20-year old female, heteroromantic asexual, artist / amateur scientist, violin mantis soul. Majoring in anthropology. I also like to represent myself with something that is essentially an anthropomorphic, okapi-themed lamp, for no reason other than it's fun.

I guess I feel like a scientist, but I also feel connected, since many of the kids seem to share my sensibility of reticence, withdrawal, uncertainty, fear, etc. etc...

But when I get to read great language like that, I love it.

I mean that's not a poseur (poseuse?) That's not "avant-garde."

That's someone who is complexly feeling their way into the world.

Tumblr is addictive.

FACEBOOK has normalizing effects (horrible feeling for me). Twitter wittifies one--or forces one to make the attempt. It snarkies you up. (tolerable when one is in the mood). 

But Tumblr is beautiful and natural and healing in a way that neither of those others could ever really be.

Tumblr is much more about trying to be open to fundamental changes of consciousness.

I mean you see 12 year olds doing queer activism on Tumblr. I kid you not.

If you want to see careers, go to FACEBOOK. If you want to see snark, go to TWITTER. If you want to see the future, go to TUMBLR.

2 comments:

  1. Remember when you thought Tumblr was so annoying and snotty because you had to do somethingy to comment? You were right, but for all the wrong reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi.

    I'm not sure whether your comment is slamming 1) me 2) Tumblr 3)both 4)neither, you "missed my point entirely."

    In any case, I hope i felt good typing the words.

    ReplyDelete