Thursday, August 30, 2012

Spent Today Fighting

Spent today fighting for my mom's civil rights. An evil nursing home administrator had been manipulating my brother and others with outright lies. Then she finally met me (via telephone) today and the sociopath got a taste of her own bad medicine. An actual quote from today: "Once your mother gets here, she's MINE!" It was like some horrible B movie. C movie. WHO TALKS LIKE THAT? IN 2012? IN AMERICA? I nearly ended up speaking to attorneys but instead notified the Department of Aging that she was telling lies that were going to have a HIGH likelihood of having them named in a lawsuit, along with the hospital she's in as well. I called the hospital and talked to the people who had apparently been in dialogue/cahoots with this woman behind my mother's back. I nearly fell back into a huge fight with my brother because he had been telling my mom lies which were making her nearly suicidal about how the decision-making was being taken out of her hands by The State. And all these lies were originating with that malicious creature in the nursing home.

Long story short, we ended up convening a meeting at two today and the hospital's social services rep attended, the Department of Aging sent a representative and we ironed out the details for my mom's safe return HOME. Everyone suddenly became aboveboard. What a little miracle. Everyone distanced themselves from that creature and apologized on her behalf, even though it was not their place (or was it?) I've already left messages for the director of the nursing home, but I'm assuming he's probably in her pocket and they will of course circle the wagons. Especially since I mentioned litigation. Those non-corporate nursing homes are often scary places. I know because my sister-in-law worked in many of them. They tend to be very "odd," to put it mildly. Creepy families tend to get into that business for some reason. I don't know why this should be, but my sister worked in like eight of those places and every one run by a family had creepy stuff going on. And I think this woman I talked to today is an old school sociopath like Sante Kimes. I really got that vibe from her. My brother said she was "stern." I don't need any fucking stranger who believes in owning other human beings and who spreads lies to manipulate people into her McDeath nursing home making decisions for my mother. The dumb fuck spent all her time working on my brother for like a week, had cajoled him to come to the nursing home and wasted two hours of his time giving him the tour/sell, either because she (wrongly) believed he had power-of-attorney over my mother, or (worse possibility) maybe thought she could get AROUND my power-of-attorney and get the financial documents needed to begin railroading my mother into her pit of contagion (see article posted above about how disease was allowed spread all through the institution in January, probably due to uncleanliness, poor adherence to universal precaution rules). I retain that and I would never have signed it over. My mother's always wanted me to have it and I accepted that years ago at her request. And it's not needed, since she's perfectly competent. Power-of-attorney should only ever be granted to someone who you know would never use it unless left with no recourse, someone who has zero desire to exercise it.

My mother is fine when it comes to judgment and intellect. She has a better memory than me by far. The woman from social services in the hospital admitted my mom had remembered something she (the hospital employee) had forgotten earlier that day. If Stephen Hawking was not a brilliant physicist, he would probably have had his life taken from him years ago. Okay, maybe not in England. Maybe it's different there. But if he had been born American, he probably would have been shoved into some institutional corner to die, because he wouldn't have been able to defend himself. The hospital where my mom is staying violated its own charter documents, including its PATIENT'S BILL OF RIGHTS, which I know virtually by heart having been through the wringer myself in the past.

It really bothers me that people were being seriously devious with regard to my mother. The Department of Aging still kept suggesting to my mom that she might want to consider going in "temporarily." There is no "temporarily." Once you fall for that, the insurance companies and the rest all switch over into another mode and everybody decides to size up your assets and liquidate you out. God, imagine what old people who have nobody to help them must go through and what must happen to them. The State (Department of Aging in this case) does have to go through a legal process and bring their "case" before a judge and the person has to be judged mentally incompetent and the rest. But I can see through this experience that The State is still dangerous to its citizens. Eternal vigilance? Damn right. I really believe in groups like the Hemlock Society and I totally support an individual's right to end their own life if he or she chooses. My mom isn't suicidal and she doesn't have any terminal condition. I'm just saying. No wonder older people tend to be so politically aware and invested. Because their survival in this society isn't always a given.

Ironically, when they were trying their little wiles behind my mom's back with nursing homes, the only one that was open to accepting her was the one where the psycho bitch has her spiderweb The others said they wouldn't take her because of the (resolved) schizophrenia. My mom is hallucination-free for over thirty years. There's another example of discrimination in our society. But in this case, it worked in our favor. That horrible monster who believes she can own human beings instantly called the hospital after our exchange and left a message with social services saying my mom was disinvited. I told my mom and we both laughed. It was the best disinvitation we had all year.

That's the same nursing home that killed my paternal grandmother. We should have sued then but I was like fourteen. But I saw what they did. And I remember. Money is the best protection you can have in any society/country and so it is in America. But if you don't have money, you can still have indignation and a willingness to talk to hungry lawyers. I have all the time in the world and I will happily go the rounds and find the right man or woman for the job if it comes to that. I am happy they're going to send physical therapists to my mom at home and she will continue to have her two helpers. But I worry about other people out there. It's ironic that an agency whose mission includes a strong mandate to fight "elder abuse" is itself capable of totally riding roughshod over the individual citizen's right to freedom, to own property, etc. Even when my mom told them that she would have no interest in living any longer if they tried to force her into a nursing home (and she said this without anger--it was just a fact) they still kept asking her to consider. She signed the goddamn form absolving them of any responsibility for her decision. So what more does the State fucking want?

After what my mother went through in the seventies, the total Frances Farmer treatment, everything but the lobotomy, and they almost got away with doing that to her...the State is not going to get away with this again. I'd start with lawyers, go to congress reps, find the agencies that are opposed to the State's abuses in this area, and so on. There is no end of ways to make sure those who believe in disenfranchisement of civil liberties--which should be synonymous with America--end up paying (and I mean cash as well as raking them through the fourth estate). I shouldn't be surprised this shit goes on. I shouldn't be this naive. There are too many people who will passively accept whatever other people do to them, too much greed in the souls of those willing to exploit that sense of powerlessness. So still the State arrogates and has too much power.

A few dozen anarchists had a really nice thing going on downtown in Harrisburg's riverfront park the day I was down there taking photos. I stopped and talked to them and took some of their literature. They had a "FREE STORE" and were giving away clothing, toys for kids, housewares to anyone who wanted them. It was really wonderful. We mostly ended up talking about Bakunin. They were mostly younger, twenties and thirties. One guy playing a guitar was a dead ringer for Jason Mraz. When I told him, he laughed and said he even has a t-shirt that says "I'M NOT JASON." The one pamphlet had a white symbol against a black background. It was the anarchy symbol, but it had a heart instead of the usual circle around it. I may drop in on these people's meetings. I really think freedom in America is a process and it is WIDE OPEN to debate. It needs to be. This was scary. It was like a flashback to the seventies with my mom. I made sure everyone heard that story. And I told them, "I'd like to think you could survive what she was put through during those years, but I'm not really sure. I know I wouldn't have." I would have ended my life in protest.

Oh, I also picked up the essay "Anarchist Society & Its Practical Realization" by Graham Purchase. I didn't really get the latest wave of protests because they didn't have clear goals and organize for anything other than what looked like a big collective moan. I'm happy that you're able to articulate that you are unhappy with your culture. But how about articulating WHAT YOU WANT TO CHANGE, EXACTLY, about your culture. And for me it's the freedom of the individual against abuses of the State. I understand someone in say a chronic vegetative state isn't going to know where he or she is or be able to consult in decision-making. But they have the bar set at a much higher level than that. They go after you even when you are totally competent. Just because they think they can.

2 comments:

  1. Bravo! Amazing this shit is still happening. I'm loving your new pictures, art is the best therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Peter. I'm loving your poems, but the phenomenon of me loving your poems is nothing new. I was amazed it's happening too. And the worst part is finding out all the money is in cahoots. The next wave of the fighting is directed at the insurance company that is now holding hands with the company which gave my mom her reverse mortgage, seemingly getting ready to drive a new knife in. I think I'm fortunate that I have a great insurance agent who might fight for us, so I'm staying optimistic until I hear otherwise. Even my normally reticent brother is talking about involving the media and publicly shaming Nationwide if they do turn traitor on my mom. And YES... art is the best brainwaves, agreed.

    ReplyDelete