Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Hurricane Denial

I guess I was in hurricane denial, since I figured I couldn't even fathom losing my roof or my Mom losing her roof or something while trying to survive. So I mostly avoided the hurricane coverage. Until just now. I had seen Atlantic City's boardwalk getting torn up, Wildwood all sloshy with five feet here, ten feet there. But no real panic in the streets.

Can't believe the state of New York City. What a difference there. How are New Yorkers going to go "weeks" without the subway? The neonates being moved on "sleds" down stairs and out of NYU Hospital during the evacuation. Nearly 700,000 people without power. Depressing and disheartening stuff.

I guess give money to the Red Cross if you have it. I guess that would be the main charity.

I think Bloomberg did a good job with all the precautions. I saw the press conferences yesterday. I had this feeling they were overreacting but I was completely wrong. It was just my magical thinking and stupid optimism.

Nothing like a hurricane to remind us we might as well be living in 1812 on some days, some nights. For all the good our defenses do in certain circumstances.

But then there are countries where this sort of flooding takes hundreds of thousands of lives almost every other year, so...reality/realism sucks.

3 comments:

  1. Paul Dinello's ManservantOctober 30, 2012 at 1:45 PM

    Well, given that all news is sensationalized and that every storm is predicted to be apocalyptic, being in hurricane denial sounds quite rational to me. I can hardly even glance at headlines on the web anymore -- there are no journalistic standards left.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for giving me an exculpatory rationale! The headlines on the web are indeed all whores. Nothing is as dramatic as it sounds. I'm thinking of the Sandburg line from "Chicago" now: "They tell me you are wicked and I believe them, for I have seen your painted women under the gas lamps luring the farm boys." That pretty much describes every headline on MSN, AOL and everywhere else. I probably should have my snoot in the online NY TIMES or some other "distinguished organ," but I think I can sing my own little tunes of tragedy overday. Why go looking for a Covent Garden of it?

    ReplyDelete